According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, there is an average of 950,000 automobile accidents due to the rain, resulting in 4,700 deaths and 384,000 injuries per year. To avoid these accidents and get that huge number lower, it is important to learn how to drive safely in the rain, especially with spring showers coming up. The team at Nordgren Automotive is here to help with these five tips for driving in spring showers:
- Take time to stop and think: Many of us drive subconsciously out of habit, but when it starts to rain, we need to stay alert and focus on our surroundings.
- Don’t forget about your headlights: It is a law in all states for drivers to turn on their headlights when visibility is compromised. In some states, it is also a law for drivers to turn on their headlights when their windshield wipers are on. These laws are there for a reason -- they are your first line of defense against the elements.
- Be careful of hydroplaning: All you need is a 1/12 inch of rain on the road and speed of more than 35 miles per hour, and you may find yourself hydroplaning. If your tires have a lot of wear and tear, you are highly likely to hydroplane. If you believe your tires need some TLC, don’t hesitate to contact the team at Nordgren Automotive. If you start to hydroplane, lift your foot off the gas pedal slowly and steer straight until you gain control.
- No more cruise control: On wet surfaces, cruise control does the opposite of what it is supposed to do -- you are more likely to lose control.
- Slow down: This tip may seem like a no-brainer, but you would be surprised to see how many speed racers are out on the road during a spring shower! Slow down, take a breath, and pay attention to your surroundings.
Now is the perfect time to bring your vehicle in for an inspection. We will make sure your car is in tip-top shape and ready for whatever rain storms Mother Nature has in store for us this Spring! Schedule an appointment online or call the Nordgren Automotive team at (763) 703-1365.